Saturday, February 25, 2012

Crimes of Domestic Violence

I woke up this morning, not to Autumn crying... but to hearing my neighbors shouting and multiple sounds of crashes/bangs through the wall that separates my bedroom from theirs. Immediately my heart stopped. All I could think of was Toni Clark - one of my High School friends who was murdered in a "Crime of Domestic Violence."

I don't know my neighbors very well.
I do know that they have two children.

I did the only thing I could think of - I called the police.

After assuring me that officers were on their way and disconnecting the call I realized that one of my neighbors left in a truck - it was the husband.

I called police back and informed them.

I could not hear anything next door now - and now I was even more scared.

Was she ok?! Were the babies injured?! When was 'he' going to return?!

I called the apartment manager and told him what had happened, and what I had done.
He thanked me - he also said he would go and knock on her door to see if she was ok.

Thank God she was, and answered his knock (I heard). I was so afraid that she wouldn't/couldn't.

The apartment manager called me back and told me she was ok and that he did not see any bruising, etc, on her when he was there.

The police came and spent quite a bit of time inside her apartment with her. They parked in my neighbors parking spot, and had another officer show up with an orange box to collect samples... Things were not as bad as I imagined, but this was not a good sign.

My mind thought on the video I had seen that my friend Toni's parents had made this past year. I want all of my friends to watch this and share it - it could save a life. Because of its influence I may have saved my neighbors.

This is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI2ZEaEB_XA&feature=share

The police are still here. I don't know what the outcome of everything is, but I hope it is more positive than it may have ended up. I know it is more positive than it may have ended up.

I will never forget Toni, nor her story.
I hope others find the courage to prevent these things from happening to their friends, neighbors and loved ones.

It just may save a life.

No comments: